Fifty years ago, the world met a colorful community of monsters, birds, grouches and humans. Half a century later, it’s still a place where everyone counts!
Through the years, Sesame Street continues to remind us of the importance of their timeless message that everyone, no matter who they are or where they are from, is equally deserving of respect, opportunity, laughter and joy.
We at KERA would like you to join us for our yearlong celebration of Sesame Street featuring some of your favorite characters, from Big Bird to Elmo to Abby Cadabby.
EVENT INFO: Sesame Street Road Trip’s Dallas stop July 6 »
This month’s activities and printables »
Previous month’s activities and printables »
Timeline of Sesame Street history »
Join your Sesame Street friends for a fun, interactive family festival and stage show, a giant maze, a treasure dig, photo opportunities, sweepstakes, a cookies-and-milk snack station, and more!
Saturday, July 6, 2019 at Main Street Garden Park
• Live stage show
• Mobile Learning Adventure featuring Letters to Big Bird activity
• Hooper’s Store-inspired activity
• Navigation/maze activity
• Cookie and milk sampling
• Sand tables
There are two special days in May that help us celebrate families – Mother’s Day (May 12) and the International Day of Families (May 15).
During the month of May, let’s help our children remember that “F” is for Family. View online activities, reads and resources about the importance of family bonding for children and adults, right here, and print or view these additional resources:
• 2 different coloring sheets
• Baby Bear’s applesauce recipe
• Mother’s Day coupons
• “Being 2!” activity checklist
Families can also take part in these fun activities together:
• Share funny family stories
• Prepare a family recipe you learned from a parent, grandparent or older relative, talk about your memories over a meal.
• Look at old family photos together and talk about who’s who and what’s happening in the picture.
• Enjoy an afternoon of sharing favorite family games, hobbies and traditions.
• Draw pictures and write notes to family members. Send emails and video chat with families who live faraway.
In recognition of Autism Awareness Month, Sesame Street and KERA Kids would like to re-introduce you to Julia.
Help children learn about acceptance and embracing diversity — click to view online activities, reads and resources about autism for children and adults.
They’ll help you learn:
• How to talk to children about autism
• About the benefits of a companion animal
• How to prepare for outings
• How to create fun family traditions
• What to say to a parent of a child with autism
— Sesame Street (@sesamestreet) April 15, 2019
Explore these hashtags: #Sesame50 | #KERAKids