On February 19, 1968, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood premiered on PBS and forever changed the landscape of children’s education media.
In 2018, KERA and the Fred Rogers Company commemorated 50 years of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, a crown jewel of public broadcasting, with a year-long celebration of initiatives, reminiscing and caring for our neighbors.
For more than 50 years, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood has made children feel good about themselves. It has promoted values that are timeless and universal. It has provided quality programming based on widely-accepted principles of child development and child psychology.
And now, the award-winning show Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood continues to build on the Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood legacy.
We’re grateful to have connected with generations of North Texas neighbors through this special program. So, “let’s make the most of this beautiful day,” and join together to emulate the civility and friendship the show encouraged.
“Looks like you just earned the twenty-million dollars.” — Sen. John O. Pastore, chairman of the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Communication, May 1, 1969
Watch Fred Rogers explain to the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Communication, with his trademark sincerity and care, what he hoped Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood would accomplish for children:
Get more Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood printables to color right here.
We enjoyed meeting fans of Daniel Tiger — Mister Rogers’ heir to the Neighborhood — before the PBS Kids at the Alamo film screening in March 2018!
Can’t get enough? Explore more Mister Rogers and Daniel Tiger around the web:
• View a roundup of five especially memorable moments from the show, including the 1981 visit from 10-year-old Jeffrey Erlanger (New York Times).
• “The legacy lives on.” Visit the Fred Rogers Company website here.
• Listen to the Fresh Air with Terry Gross episode about Fred Rogers.
• Read about Fred Rogers’ impact on his hometown (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review).
• Read a woman’s story about becoming friends with Mister Rogers while she battled seizures as a 5-year-old (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette).
• Read one parent share “Why ‘Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood’ is the Best Type of Screen Time” (Lifehacker).
• Watch Mister Rogers show his iconic sweaters to young viewers and share about their creator — his mother (Fred Rogers Company).
• Read Tom Junod’s in-depth 1998 profile of Fred Rogers (Esquire).
• Why is the show’s pace so slow and leisurely? Browse the Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood FAQ.
• Browse popular Mister Rogers quotes (Goodreads).
• Get Mister Rogers episode synopses, characters and other information here, by year or topic. You can do the same for Daniel Tiger episodes here (fan site neighborhoodarchive.com).
• Read “The saint-like legacy of Mister Rogers” (The Atlantic).
bull; Watch WUCF’s take on Mister Rogers’ impact on Central Florida (PBS).
• Read about the U.S. Postal Service’s stamp honoring Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood (NPR).
• Get Mister Rogers games, videos and more for kids (PBS Kids).
• Learn more about Daniel Tiger and get games, videos, stories and more about Daniel and his friends (Fred Rogers Company and PBS Kids).
• Read about Tom Hanks starring in the upcoming Fred Rogers biopic You Are My Friend (Variety).
• Browse the Fred Rogers page on Wikipedia.
• Read touching Mister Rogers stories and memories from fans (Today).
• Follow the Fred Rogers Company on Twitter here or like their Facebook page here.
Thank you for your support. It helps secure enriching, educational programming like Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood and Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood for future generations of North Texans. Learn more.