Start Smart Texas is a literacy program designed to help parents and caregivers make “anytime learning time” by finding opportunities to share discovery with children from birth to age 8 in everyday situations – from neighborhood walks to grocery shopping to daily reading time.
Parents provide the first building blocks for their child’s success. But kids don’t come with an instruction manual. Through Start Smart, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles — anyone who cares for a young child — can receive convenient tips about child development, literacy and much more by text, right on their phone. Tips are geared to children’s ages and locations to make them more relevant.
*Messages and data rates may apply. Text STOP to 274448 to stop.
The age-appropriate tips and ideas you will receive via text cover such topics as:
• Games and activities for healthy development
• Learning to identify shapes
• Healthy dental practices
• Habits for developing literacy skills like shared storytelling
• Keys to good nutrition
• Positive discipline methods
• Building confidence and empathy
• Learning to share
… and much more!
• Check out this child development tracker from PBS Parents for milestones in skills for math, literacy and social-emotional learning.
• For more information, visit startsmarttexas.org.
In addition to KERA, the lead local partners for this program are Early Matters Dallas and the United Way of Metropolitan Dallas. It’s powered by the Texas Education Agency, Start Smart Texas and Bright by Text.
Are you a teacher, homeschool parent or other educator? Follow KERA Learn! on Pinterest